Saturday, November 8, 2008
Never before seen photo of Ted Price
Select MHS Alumni on my blog list below right and select telephone company and then select ...Milford Potato Pits 1940 from the list on the right. Scroll down to the third picture and the second guy from the right is my dad. The first two pictures might be from the 1940's but I am sure the one with Dad in is from the early 60's. He didn't start growing potatoes until we lived at the experiment farm and that was from when I was 9 to 15, so 1959 to 1964 or so. He loved growing potatoes. I remember the first field he grew was on ground that he leased or rented. It was on the east side of the highway. He brought the first shovel full of new little potatoes home to show us. After that success, he convinced Mom to let him buy a farm. Dad was still working on the railroad and that meant he would be gone sometimes when he needed to change the water. Mom would take Jo and me with her. Sometimes it would be in the middle of the night and it meant setting the syphon tubes which wasn't easy. You had to suck on one end until the water came up and hurry and let it down into the ditch. Mom was a pro. I don't think Jo and I did very well. Dad loved farming and always said he was happiest with bugs in his teeth. He meant driving the tractor in the wind. His tractor didn't have a cab. He had a potato pit in town across the street from the new LDS Chapel. I don't know if the picture was taken in his pit or not. I don't remember much about that pit except it's smell. We all spent time in it when it was time to plant or sort and bag potatoes to sell. I remember it being really cold in there in the winter. I don't remember what happened, but it burned one night before we moved from the experiment farm. We still own the land it was on. If you know anyone who would like to buy a city block in Milford let us know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment