Monday, November 10, 2008

Mall Pretzel Bites

One day last week I left early to pick up Luke from school and stopped at the University Mall. I need to get started finding a dress or dresses for Steve and Kim 's wedding. I know it is going to be a challenge so I thought I would get started. As I was walking by a pretzel place, the smell was so inviting I stopped to check it out. I never buy food at the mall, but then the malls are few and far between in Delta so..I guess the temptation usually isn't there. Anyway, I succumbed to the smell and bought a small cup of pretzel bites with caramel dipping sauce. They were wonderful! I was really glad I was alone and didn't have to share.

A couple of days later, I decided that I really shouldn't go to the mall to buy pretzel bites. It is not socially acceptable for little old fat ladies to be seen at the mall pretzel place with that caramel sauce dripping down her arm so I thought I would try to find a recipe and make them in the privacy of home. You can find anything on the Internet. I found several recipes. Most were close to being the same. So I picked one and gave it a try. They were really easy to make and they don't have too many bad for you ingredients. Of course, it is my opinion that you can eat most anything if you don't do it in excess. Right? And...they are only bites not whole pretzels.
And..you don't have to dip them in caramel sauce, there are endless options. I have made them twice now and everyone likes them.

Soft Pretzel Bites

Measure 1 1/2 Cup warm water into a warm large mixing bowl. The water should be quite hot, but not boiling. If you don't warm your bowl, it cools down the water and your yeast won't rise as much.

Add 1 pkg or 1 Tablespoon yeast
2 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/4 Teaspoon salt
Stir to dissolve and let mixture set until it is bubbling..should be just a few minutes.

Add 4 Cups of white flour one at a time. The recipe I found said to use 1 Cup cake flour. Since that is something that I would not have on hand, I used all regular flour. It didn't seem to matter, but then I haven't tried it with cake flour so I can't compare. Add the flour gradually and stop when your mixer has pulled the dough way from the sides of the bowl and isn't sticky. You might not have to use all the last cup of flour.
Let the mixer knead for 5 minutes of so. Turn the dough into a oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. That is what my mother always did, so I do it too.

Let raise for 1 hour or until double in bulk. You can tell if it is double if you poke your finger in the dough and the hole stays.

While the dough is rising, dissolve 2 Tablespoon Baking Soda in 2 Cups of warm water. I also use this time to clean up so when you are finished baking, all you have left to do is the baking sheets and you are finished.

Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Roll into a rope. You can twist the rope into a pretzel, or do what I do and cut the rope into 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch pieces. Dip the pieces or pretzel into the baking soda water and place on a greased baking sheet. Let rise again for about 15 minutes and

Bake in a 450 oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Brush with butter and sprinkle with coarse salt. OR..cinnamon sugar or....whatever you think you might like.

These would be a great after school treat for my wonderful grandchildren. Be brave, use those KitchenAid mixers.

I know, I should have taken pictures like the Pioneer Woman, but since not many people will be reading this, it probably isn't necessary, but next recipe, I might consider it!

No comments: