Sunday, July 20, 2008

COUSINS THEN AND NOW

Last month, Dan called me from Angie's house. He had come down to SLC to put Faye on a plane to Hawaii. He had just called Sue and she told him that Chris and Annie and husbands were going to be at her house for the week. Since he was free, he wanted to know if I wanted to go with him to Grand Junction to visit since we hadn't seen either of them since we could remember! Just overnight. It only took me a few minutes to agree. There are a few advantages to not working! After talking with Rod about it, I called Dan and told him we had better at least tell JoAnne we were going so she wouldn't feel left out. He said he thought she was busy with Emily's graduation party, but to go ahead. I called her in the early afternoon. She was on a plane and in SLC by 10:30 P.M.! She and Dan picked me up at Sara's at 7:00 A.M. the next morning and we were on our way! Dan had called Jackie and Lonnie to see where they were and if they wanted to go. They were in Milford, but decided it was too far. Too Bad for them. We had a great time. We talked all the way there..about 4 and a half hours. Dan got pulled over for speeding but talked the officer into a warning by saying that we were just going to see an old aunt and cousins we hadn't seen for 30 years and he wasn't paying attention to speed. He is a good talker!

We made it to Grand Junction to have lunch st Sue's and then later went to Barb's for dinner. Talking and remembering all the time. We all had a great time. Dan told so many hunting stories, we had to remind them that hunting season was really only two weeks out of the year, but that it was very important to some!


Dan and Sue were talking about the Butch Cassidy story. I didn't hear them but Dan told me about it on the way home. Sue said that she was the one that opened the door the night Butch came to visit. She really isnt sure that it was Butch, maybe it was his younger brother, but she was a little girl . She said that he asked for Uncle Eb. Since she didn't know who that was, she went to get the grown ups. Uncle Eb was her grandfather, Ebenezer Gillies, known to her and the family as Pop and Butch's uncle or great uncle, I am not sure. We talked a little on the way home about our Dad telling much the same story that a man or men came to the house, wearing long coats and the kids were put to bed and the adults stayed up talking and in the morning the men were gone and no one talked about it much. The interesting thing is that when I got home, I went to Quality for groceries and picked up a Chronicle. On the front page there was an article about Butch visiting in McCornick in the 30's. It referenced an article written by Frank Beckwith(Deb's grandpa) saying that someone who knew Butch swore that he came by to visit him after he was supposedly killed in South America. AND..the guy who wrote the article was behind me in line at the store! I talked to him about it and he wanted me to write down our story and sent it to him. I haven't done that though, probably won't. I thought it was interesting though. Quite the coincidence.)

JoAnne, Sue and Christine

(Christine and husband Mike live in Virginia. She is a Phd research doctor and he is a librarian

Barbara

Lives in Grand Junction and is a Special Education teacher and runner

Annie and Wilbur

They live in Eugene, Oregon. Annie says she makes her living flushing toilets (she inspects housing) and Wilbur drives a school bus. I think Vicky and I were about 15 or so. Our Price family had Thanksgiving at our Uncle Bob and Aunt Becky's home in Las Vegas. Pictured are all the granddaughters of Bob and Genieve Price. Back row from the left: JoAnne, Jackie, Christine, Lonnie, Barbara Middle: Vicky and Gerry, Front: Annie

No comments: